Boliven PRO is more than just patent search
- Build and save lists using the powerful Lists feature
- Analyze and download your search results
- Share patent search results with your clients
US5751871: Method for coupling of semiconductor lasers into optical fibers
15 Claims, No Drawings
A method for efficiently coupling beams from semiconductor lasers into optical fibers is presented which provides optical fibers with a modified end surface for efficient coupling. The method comprises a combination of shaping of the fiber end face and of axially varying the refractive index of the fiber end face material as a function of the distance from fiber end face surface. One preferred embodiment employs an axial gradient-index lens (AGRIN lens) fabricated directly on the fiber end face to improve coupling a laser beam into the fiber. The method can also be used in other applications where optical fibers having spherical or more complicated surfaces of their end faces need to be fabricated.
- 1. A method of coupling a diode laser beam into an optical fiber having a core with a refractive index and a cladding with a lower refractive index, said method comprising the steps of:modifying said core's refractive index at a fiber end face surface thereby creating an axial variation of said core's refractive index as a function of the distance from said fiber end face surface; andshaping said fiber end face so as to maximize coupling efficiency of said diode laser beam into said fiber.
- 13. A modified optical fiber end surface for enhanced coupling with diode laser beams comprising:an optical fiber having a core with a refractive index and a cladding with a lower refractive index;a fiber end face surface, to accept a diode laser beam;said fiber end face surface having an axial variation of said core's refractive index that varies as function of distance from said fiber end face surface; andsaid fiber end face surface being shaped so as to maximize coupling efficiency of said diode laser beam into said fiber.
U.S. Patent Documents
|K. Mathyssek et al. "Fabrication and Investigation of Drawn Fiber Tapers with Spherical Microlenses" J. Opt. Comm 6, 142-146 (1955).|
|U.C. Paek & A.L. Weaver "Formation of a Spherical Lens at Optical Fiber Ends with a CO.sub.2 Laser" Appl. Opt. 14, 294-298 (1975).|
|P.K. Manhart, "Macro AGRIN Lenses for Optical Design Applications" Optics & Photonics News 6 44-47 (1995).|
The current document is not in a family.